External ear infection is an infection that is caused by bacteria or fungus attacking the part of the ear that is outside of the eardrum.
Who gets external ear infections?
The people who are more prone to such infections are those who…
- Swim regularly
- Use cotton buds/ear picks to remove earwax
- Use hearing aids, earphones or ear plugs
- Put objects inside their ears
What does it look like?
Fungal ear infection
- Ear drops
- See the doctor immediately if the ear drops cause your ears to hurt a lot
- Medicines to reduce pain
- Do not scratch or put anything inside the ears
- Avoid water going into the ears such as:
- Avoid swimming
- While bathing, keep ears dry by:
- wearing earplugs, or
- putting a cotton ball with olive oil inside the ears, or
- covering the ears with a cup